[aprssig] APRS-IS and metadata

Nick VA3NNW tapr at noseynick.com
Sat Aug 19 17:14:29 EDT 2023

Mr Lynn W Deffenbaugh wrote:
> Yes, anyone can put whatever they want in the comment section of THEIR
> OWN packets.  IGates and digipeaters MUST NOT modify the packet except
> as provided in the path section for their particular operations.  The
> source, destination, and payload of packets must not be modified as
> the packet traverses the RF and APRS-IS networks.

"A Modest Proposal"...   ;-)

Assuming adding this "metadata" would be damned difficult to add to ALL
APRS-IS servers, especially in a back-compatible forward-compatible way
with all existing igates and APRS-IS nodes and producers and consumers...

And assuming igates are NOT allowed to modify SRC/DEST/PAYLOAD (totally
understood, breaks de-duping and looping controls)

... but assuming they CAN meddle with the "path" at least a bit...

Could we (ab)use something similar to the "q construct", add some "extra
hops in the path honest", to say "I hopped via LoRA, and I hopped via
frequency X and hopped via a spreading-factor of Y" and so on? Not only
"I hopped via this igate and onto the internets"?

Is there a limit to the "max path hops" once you get onto APRS-IS
BTW? On (AX25) RF the path very finite in length and even format of each
hop, but on APRS-IS I'm less certain - I feel like the answer is YES
there's a limit, but I can't recall how many might be "spare" in practice?

Nick VA3NNW wearing his horns

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, VA3NNW/G7RZQ, K2 #5209, IRLP #2410 on VE3RBM
use Std::Disclaimer;    sig at noseynick.net
Do Passwords PROPERLY! ... see https://noseynick.net/vault.html
Never let your schooling interfere with your education.