[aprssig] APRS-IS and metadata

Weston Bustraan wbustraan at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 08:58:10 EDT 2023

You are correct, there is a server infrastructure, but what Lynn meant was
that the packets are *transient* on the APRS-IS network; servers only store
packets for a brief time window in order to do duplicate checking and then
the data vanishes. So, for example, you can't connect to the APRS-IS
network and query it for "all packets sent yesterday afternoon".

Services like findu.com and aprs.fi receive the data sent on the APRS-IS
network and store it in their own (likely very large) databases.

My own APRS app, QTH.app, does keep a local history in a database, but it
purges old packets as they pass the (configurable) purge horizon. It's done
this way because otherwise the volume of data could fill up users' hard
drives quickly, especially if the user misconfigures their filter and ends
up drinking from the fire hose.

- Wes W8WJB