[aprssig] The Protocol is Extensible

Charles Gallo charlie at thegallos.com
Thu Aug 17 22:42:32 EDT 2023

While this is true for the data, I think that the whole datagram for things like how to digipeat (which Bob was always having to teach folk the Widex-y etc) might really be the broken part, when you look at things like LoRa. The big difference is that today, we have so much computing power relative to 1982 (just look at the computing power in even a RPi Pico, at $4) that the parts where we are worrying about KPC 3s and other TNCs and their limited brains is what holds us back. It is like saying you have to write everything to be compatible with an 8088 PC running DOS3.3
Will we be telling a bunch of folks “nope, you can’t play with that hardware”? Yep. But having the compute power to keep a database in memory, and do a lot more calculations would eliminate a whole bunch of problems, and probably sole a lot of the issues with the difference between Wides, Fill In, iGates etc

--
73 de KG2V
Charlie