[aprssig] Arbitrary Code Execution Over APRS

Jeff Hochberg jeff at w4jew.com
Sun Apr 9 15:57:42 EDT 2023

The article is misleading. It makes it sound like APRS is the issue when in
reality it’s WinAPRS running on Windows XP.

The author goes on to say the vulnerability exists in WinAPRS on Windows 10
“just not as reliably and with a lot of extra effort required”.

I love the argument that open source software is inherently more secure.
Vulnerabilities exist in all software. Open source provides people with the
ability to review code themselves to determine if it’s vulnerable.

I would venture to say that 9 out of 10 people wouldn’t know what to look
for. Someone tells them open source software is more secure so they just
trust it.

--
———

Jeff Hochberg