[aprssig] Kenwood D710 Head to Radio Serial Control Protocol

Brian Wilson brian at wildsong.biz
Thu Jul 21 11:21:52 EDT 2022

I've wanted that for years (I have a D710) but never jumped on it. I'd be
willing to help out but I am really a software guy who pretends to do
hardware. I signed up here because I am interested in APRS and the UI on
the D710 is so clumsy. I thought maybe a box plugged into the body doing
bluetooth and an Android tablet up front would be pretty neat. Big project.

I've been thinking this would be a job for a Bus Pirate, and I've always
wanted an excuse to get one. Anyone have opinions on using one of these?

Brian W6GKD
Astoria Oregon

On Thu, Jul 21, 2022 at 7:20 AM Jason Rausch <jason at ke4nyv.com> wrote:

> Has anyone reverse engineered the serial command protocol between the D710
> head and the main unit?  Looking the basic controls like:
>
> Power the radio on/off
> Set frequency
> Select data band
> Ect.