[aprssig] APRS document in LaTeX

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Fri Jul 8 09:16:18 EDT 2022

Hi Erik,

it's nice to see additional activity in this context. I've done a quick
& dirty "reverse engineering" effort with an online PDF converter to
migrate the content from the PDF into a usable source format a few
months ago, but it still needs significant manual cleanup efforts.

You can find the result at https://github.com/ge0rg/aprs101 - I've chosen
ReStructuredText because it's a useful markup format with great tooling
for online technical and protocol documentation, and it's easy to create
HTML as well as printable PDF or other desired formats. A HTML export
can be browsed at https://op-co.de/tmp/APRS101/

The APRS 1.01 specification is quite outdated, and we need to work
through the text, convert it into a clean and editable source format
that gives us a multitude of outputs, and then start extending it with
all the changes that happened in the years after APRS101.PDF was carved
into stone.

I appreciate LaTeX very much, and I've set my own fair share of
publications and theses in it, but ultimately it is best suited to
create documents that will be printed on paper, not quite as much for a
protocol reference specification.

If you can use any of the above reverse-engineered RST for your project,
feel free! If you have the time and capacity to contribute to the RST
version, that would be really awesome!

73 de Georg DO1GL

* Erik Bacon Beck <bacon at tahoma.com> [2022-06-30 02:46]: