[aprssig] who forgot to renew aprs-is.net?

Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists hamlists at ametx.com
Tue Jan 11 07:07:56 EST 2022

Andrew is correct about this being a browser issue.  Aprs-is.net (and a number of other ham-related sites) is hosted on a shared IP address which precludes https as a switch protocol (unless you want to pay $$$ for wildcard certificates covering all domains hosted).  Most Chrome-based browsers (and Firefox) now default to https unless you specifically tell the browser to use http and I have seen reports that if you use a trailing / some browsers will default to https even though you specify http.  Bottom line is there has been NO change to aprs-is.net (or any other of the cohosted web sites). It is likely your autofill is defaulting to https which will take you to the base site which is AME Corp.  What is amazing to me is you should have received a warning that the certificate did not match the FQDN you entered but you promptly ignored that warning to assume (bad word) the web site was malfunctioning.  It is not.

In the future, understand certificate warnings and understand that https is not routable based on URL so retry with http and ensure your browser isn't flipping it back (I use favorites/bookmarks to get to web sites, not autofill which is often times faulty).

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl dot net