[aprssig] UI-View32 Maps?

Andrew Pavlin spam8mybrain at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 21 16:18:45 EST 2022

 It's not a foolish belief, it's a marketing plan: if you won't provide real-time identified usage data to our marketing department, you can't use our maps. All part of today's surveillance capitalism. Notice that the truly free map sources (such as OpenStreetMap) don't have those restrictions; Google isn't free (between collecting marketing data from end-users and charging 3rd parties to use Google maps to support their business).

It's the end users who have that foolish belief (believing those cellphone carrier ads), who get lost when they drive out of cellular service range.

   On Sunday, February 20, 2022, 10:28:32 PM EST, Stephen H Smith via aprssig <aprssig at lists.tapr.org> wrote: All the CD/DVD-based mapping products that worked locally on a computer without Internet access (Microsoft MapPoint, Delorme Street Atlas, Precision Mapping, Delorme Topo USA) are now discontinued.  A victim of the foolish belief that cellular data access is ubiquitous, and that you can get maps from the Internet no matter where you are.