[aprssig] Why do we not use APRS 9600?

Ev Tupis w2ev at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 19 19:14:30 EST 2022

List Members,Embrace 1200 baud.  It is stable, reliable, and well known-and-understood by the masses.
A 1200 baud service works well and is robust.
When you think "APRS", think "The IoT of amateur radio" and design to that as a foundation.
Maybe we need perspective?  Here it is:  Commercial IoT uses kB per month...not MB or GB. You know those heart monitors that use cellular service to transport data back to the hospital?  They have cellular plans in the 10-50 kB per month range.  Seriously.
APRS is uniquely positioned to be "the IoT of amateur radio" by delivering data from sensors of all types.  Some data are in cars being tracked and others are (unaligned) weather stations, but this is only the tip of the iceburg...if we only take the time to thing about it more broadly.

Respectfully,Ev, W2EV