[aprssig] Information organization

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Thu Feb 17 13:24:41 EST 2022

I think this in particular is premature.

Hessu is filling a short term need, the issuing of ongoing tocalls which is why I think that is OK with the proviso it comes under the control of the APRS group in the future.

A good deal of the confusion on the protocol is there are so many different sources. We don't need another, we need a single definitive document.

We have two proposals for groups that will assume managing the spec. One is a resurrection of the APRS Working Group in the control of a handful of software authors, the other a group that represents all stakeholders. How the integration of the spec, new and old info on aprs.org, and new additions will be handled depends on which group moves forward. Those infrastructure decisions ought tp be made by the people that have to live with them.

Also, I think we need to focus on the organization now. Separate discussions of protocol issues divert attention from the creation of a strong organization that can move APRS forward. We need to decide on a structure and get it implemented.

If you want to prepare for that time when we do start moving forward and you can offer your services to the APRS group I think that is great, but I think it is not yet time for public protocol documentation.

Steve K4HG