[aprssig] APRS specification document format and copyright

Andrew Pavlin spam8mybrain at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 14 14:58:41 EST 2022

 So who wants to send Stan Horzepa an email and request that he call a meeting of the APRSWG?

    On Monday, February 14, 2022, 02:50:00 PM EST, Heikki Hannikainen <hessu at hes.iki.fi> wrote:

 On Mon, 14 Feb 2022, Georg Lukas wrote:

> It looks like the APRSWG actually has a set of formal rules, and that
> new members can be accepted into it:
>
> http://www.ui-view.net/files/APRSWG_charter.pdf
>
> So it's probably possible to vote new members into the WG and retain it
> as the owner of the APRS spec.

Stan Horzepa, WA1LOU, who was the secretary, is still active in the TAPR
things.  I guess he might still be the secretary.  I suppose that in any
case the APRSWG would have to gather up and have a meeting, and do one of
the following:

1. Vote new members in, activate the WG again, and do the APRS spec work
within the WG (contributions from outside could still be taken in)

2. Just assign the copyright of the document to a new group which then
takes care of it

3. Relicense the document under a suitable Open Source license, such as
CC BY-SA, so that other people outside the APRSWG, within a new APRS
organisation or outside of it, can edit and republish the document.

I'd personally hope for 3, as it would have the least administrative
overhead, and the most flexibility, as new contributions could be simply
taken in on github (with a little review), in a parallel and distribution
fashion. It'd be the most open and least restrictive path, and reduce the
risk of having this sort of discussion again.

> As expected, the original text is all there, but most of the markup is
> misguided and will require significant manual cleanup efforts.

That's already a great starting point! It's already quite readable, and
it would be relatively straightforward, although a little monotonic and
time-consuming, to fix it up from there.

  - Hessu