[aprssig] WB4APR SK

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Fri Feb 11 21:15:04 EST 2022

There wasn't ever an overall plan to roll out OpenTRAC - it was my pet
project, when I got into APRS and realized how much of a mess the spec
was. I created the OpenTracker as a test platform for my protocol ideas.
The early versions supported both OpenTRAC and APRS and you could have
them send both formats in the same transmission.

That board had an 8-bit MCU with 8k of flash and 192 bytes of RAM. When
they started to sell in significant numbers, 95% of the customers only
cared about APRS and eventually OpenTRAC support got put on the back burner.

It was about 20 years ago that I started that project, and it's
definitely imperfect and incomplete. I still think it's a better
direction for new development than the way things were added to the APRS
spec. It was certainly easier to implement on a small MCU, but now
that's not nearly the concern it used to be. At the low end, the new
designs I have in production use 32-bit Cortex M4s with floating point
and 16 kB of RAM or more. We're not as constrained by the hardware, but
getting an APRS implementation right is harder than ever.

One feature of OpenTRAC that I really like is the hierarchical symbol
system - and I can't take credit for designing that, I just borrowed it
from MIL-STD-2525B and adapted it. That's one place where it really
helps future-proof things. If you add a new APRS symbol, no client knows
anything about it until developers get around to adding it. With the
hierarchical system you can still interpret all of the parts your client
knows and come up with some less granular but still appropriate symbol.

A big reason I haven't been as active in APRS development as I used to
be is that several years ago a side project developing fancy
programmable LED hula hoops took off and that's been better than half of
the company's revenue since. Some of the hoops (and related LED
performance props) have WiFi support, and they actually use OpenTRAC
over UDP to coordinate with each other. There was never a 'hoop' symbol
added to the protocol, but the props all identify as 3.2.10.15.0.x,
which works out to ground.equipment.lighting.display.portable.x and
something decoding the packets could still show a useful symbol. It
might be the same symbol as a light trailer but it's something. And it
lets you filter by useful categories, like equipment or vehicles.

I'd hoped that we could have a dual protocol system to ease the
transition if it caught on. You can do both protocols without greatly
increasing the length of a transmission. I'm sure some of you remember
what happened when someone flew an OpenTracker set to dual protocol mode
on a balloon, though. Someone had a misconfigured TNC on an IGate that
was passing OpenTRAC packets to the APRS-IS, FindU's parser choked on
the packets, and it kicked off a raging week-long debate (with me and
Bob making up the majority of the traffic) about what traffic is
appropriate in 144.390 and who gets to decide. (For the record Bob quit
the list for a while after that, which means I won. ;)

If we're stuck with the APRS protocol forever, I'd at least like to see
some things deprecated. I'm sure the most controversial item on my own
hit list would be the MIC-E format, mostly for the way it violates
separation of protocol layers by reusing a callsign field for data.
Base91 can do the same job more cleanly.

Scott
N1VG