[aprssig] WB4APR SK

Andrew Pavlin spam8mybrain at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 11 20:02:49 EST 2022

 I coded in support for OpenTRAC in my APRS program, so it can work both protocols. It was kind of cool, and OpenTRAC being extendible such that I could _ignore_ any new data fields that were added that I didn't understand was nice, but the worst I've seen is that somebody must have turned OpenTRAC format on while transmitting on the APRS frequency, because I was seeing packets forwarded to the APRS-IS that could not be understood (but were using the AX.25 PID claimed by OpenTRAC). And, alas, due to the sub-entity structure of OpenTRAC, it's difficult to map OpenTRAC frames back to standard APRS packets as a protocol gateway.
I thought about writing an OpenTRAC I-gate, but what was the point until there was a sufficient customer base to justify the effort. Plus I'd be plagiarizing from the work the APRS-IS folks did in solving most of the networking issues (like packet redundancy removal) while still trying to solve insanely difficult weaknesses (like authenticating that only real amateur radio operators could get on it without having one body be a gatekeeper).

Andrew, KA2DDOauthor of YAAC