[aprssig] APRS tocalls.txt - practical steps

Randy Hall aa6rh at socorad.io
Fri Feb 11 19:06:26 EST 2022

I'm interested in the notion of keeping the "standard" layer-based.
Considering for instance there is nothing that really defines APRS-IS as a
data link layer, even though that's what it ends up being. All we have is
something that serves as a reference implementation (in Java, if I'm not
mistaken) and some derivative server daemons and services written in other
languages.

As for the network, the New-N paradigm and how altnets should
operate sounds appropriate, though there will have to be some amount of
"retroactive documentation" if that's even possible on how APRS used to
work (Bob had a LOT of this on his site).

Application layer is where all the content will be (and is primarily the
APRS101.PDF if I'm not mistaken). Creating tools and registries for TOCALL,
symbols, additional data types would be helpful to manage in separate
appendices, but realistically they would be stored and versioned as their
own things. I envision having reference designs in SVG format for symbols
that can be used as-is or rasterized for use (color or monochrome) in
device updates/firmware, etc. What a world that would be...

Or even having a place where new symbols could be proposed and vetted and
approved, issued as a rev on the specification, and then promoted outward
to manufacturers to issue firmware updates to their devices. Wouldn't that
be something: to see manufacturers able to support new functionality in
APRS as a result of new ideas and features.

I'm getting myself all worked up here, it's exciting stuff!

Anyhow, looking forward to seeing this coalesce (coagulate?) into something
that really reflects the community.

--R
*--*
*Randy AA6RH*
*aa6rh at socorad.io <aa6rh at socorad.io>*
*Grid Square: CM88pl*

*QRZ Profile <https://www.qrz.com/db/aa6rh>*
*Sonoma County DMR: BrandMeister 31707
<https://brandmeister.network/?page=lh&jsonquery=%7B%22condition%22%3A%22AND%22%2C%22rules%22%3A%5B%7B%22id%22%3A%22DestinationID%22%2C%22field%22%3A%22DestinationID%22%2C%22type%22%3A%22integer%22%2C%22input%22%3A%22text%22%2C%22operator%22%3A%22equal%22%2C%22value%22%3A%2231707%22%7D%5D%7D>*