[aprssig] third.aprs.net issues

Jeff Hochberg jeff at w4jew.com
Tue Aug 16 23:23:43 EDT 2022

It seems to me that this would benefit from automated health checks and
alerting.

How difficult would it be to write a small script that could be executed
from a remote host? Just something that could make a simple call to tell if
the application is serving expected responses….

Depending on the nature of the script, there’s a pretty nice selection of
inexpensive to no cost monitoring services available.

On Tue, Aug 16, 2022 at 10:54 AM Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <KJ4ERJ at arrl.net>
wrote:

> Turns out it's even more easily seen if you scroll down to the Peers
> section.  It appears that third.aprs.net has not received any inbound
> packets from any of its peers for the past 31 DAYS! This has apparently
> been going on for quite some time.

> On 8/16/2022 10:48 AM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
> > I sent a direct message to Hessu who manages this server, but thought
> > the rest of the APRS community might want to know there's an issue
> > happening.
> >
> > I had occasion to notice that my ANSRVR is having some response issues
> > this morning and tracked it down to third.aprs.net.  This core server
> > doesn't seem to be getting a full feed from the APRS-IS at this point
> > in time.
> >
> > You can see this by opening browser windows to the first 3 aprs.net
> > server status pages.  Wait for them to start updating and look at the
> > rate of "Unique packets seen" under the "Duplicate filter" section.
> > On first and second, this rate is 70+/second, but it's <6/sec on third
> > indicating that not all of the APRS-IS traffic is getting processed by
> > this server.
> >
> > http://first.aprs.net:14501
> > http://second.aprs.net:14501
> > http://third.aprs.net:14501