[aprssig] SmartBeaconing implementation wanted

John Gorkos jgorkos at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 18:29:47 EDT 2022

On 8/7/22 08:01, Jason KG4WSV wrote:
> Thanks for sharing. APRS over LoRa has been on my radar for a while now, just haven’t gotten around to it.
>
> Are you using LoRa or the full LoRaWAN stack?
>
> -Jason

Just the Lora phy layer, not LoraWAN.  I have a TTN gateway at the
house, as well as two HNT miners, but I don't need the full suite for
something like this.  All of the encryption and modulation-dependent
frequency schemes are overkill.

The setup is pretty straightforward:  6 eBikes with big batteries, each
with a 915Mhz Lora tracker.  Because Burning Man is a completely
contained event, the absolute farthest a bike can get from my camper is
3400 meters.  I'll be using a SF9/125KHz chirp, which should be about
250ms on air time, and just use non-slotted Aloha on the bikes.  Range
should NOT be a problem. Here at the house, I routinely hear and am
heard by a station 110 km away.
The trackers are an ESP32 with BLE enabled (for configuration
management) but NOT Wifi, and a UBlox 6 GPS, with a Semtech 1276 LoRa
radio.  Combined, they pull about 130mA, so a 3000mAh LiPo will give me
about 20 hours to go track down the dirty hippy that rode off with my bike.
I'm not really worried about about bandwidth usage or collisions: I'm
using a 125kHz chirp on a basically random frequency between 902 and
928MHz.  I just want to use SmartBeaconing to save battery life.  I'm
using a standard APRS Compressed Position Report, with course/speed
only, as the payload, with an additional two bytes to indicate
transmission number.  That's more for curiosity sake, to see what my
throughput numbers actually are.
I did something almost identical here
https://github.com/ab0oo/lora_drone_tracker for a university advisor and
his students, to allow them to track their drones in real time.  That's
just a fixed 1-second transmit rate, but I'll update it with
SmartBeaconing when I get the library hammered out.

There seems to be a lot of APRS-over-LoRa in Europe, but LoRa is also
more popular in Europe in general.  most of it is down at 433MHz.

The Lily TT-GO T-Beams (also called "meshtastic devices") are pretty
slick pieces of kit, but the form factor is atrocious. Putting the USB
jack on one long edge, and the SMA connector for the antenna on the
opposite long edge is a prime example of a design engineer never using
his product.  I'm using the Heltec ESP32 Lora dev boards and the Heltec
CubeCell AB0-2S dev boards. The CubeCells are SAMD based and don't have
BLE, but that's a use-case I have.

The ESP32 devices will also be using the FastLED library to drive a 1M
strip of addressable LEDs, because it gets REAL DARK at night in the
middle of the desert, and if you're not lit up like a Christmas tree,
some dirty hippy WILL run into you on his (probably stolen) eBike at
15MPH.  I'll use the BLE on my phone to control the light pattern, and
set the smartbeacon params.

There's no real rocket science here; at this point, with all of the
Arduino-compatible libraries, and all of the "dev kit" hardware
available in 24 hours from Amazon, it's really like hardware and
software Legos:  just keep putting pieces together until it looks like a
spaceship.

I'll do a little writeup on the whole system when I'm done, including
pictures.  Not really worthy of a Dayton presentation, but someone might
find them useful for tracking cub scouts or RC boats or something.

de AB0OO
John Gorkos