[aprssig] Simple Search using keywords LoRa and GPS

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Mon Aug 8 13:36:09 EDT 2022

Paul Sadowski <polymath99 at gmail.com> writes:

> As a retired systems engineer I should ask for a better understanding
> of what you are planning or pursuing.  Not sure you are trying to
> improve range or get higher bandwidth or ???  Trying to do a different
> architecture than APRS?  Experimenting?  Integrating into some aspect
> of the existing APRS effort?

I am just trying to understand the situation.

> I believe unless you are going to roll your own from ground up… most
> of the LoRa modules are Part 15

Agreed.

But this is APRS, not Part15RPS :-)   Yes I know A stands for automatic,
but APRS is an Amateur Radio protocol and APRS-IS is designed to have
Amateur traffic that is elgible to be transmitted over the air.

This means that one can do one or the other of:

  1) pursue APRS-like reporting using LoRa under Part 15, but not
  involving Part 97 transmitters, because you can't repeat signals from
  other radio services into Part 97.

  2) Do APRS using LoRa as the MAC/PHY under Part 97 This requires
  assessing Part 97's spread spectrum rules, and that's what I was
  asking about because people are talking about *A*PRS.

> As to Part 97 rules…..  another simple search using keywords pread Spectrum + Part 97

None of which seem to talk about LoRa.

https://www.arrl.org/part-97-text

  §97.3   Definitions.

  (6) Pulse. Emissions having designators with K, L, M, P, Q, V or W as
  the first symbol; 0, 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9 or X as the second symbol; A, B,
  C, D, E, F, N, W or X as the third symbol.

  (8) SS. Spread spectrum emissions using bandwidth-expansion modulation
  emissions having designators with A, C, D, F, G, H, J or R as the first
  symbol; X as the second symbol; X as the third symbol.

  §97.311   SS emission types.

  authorizes SS, where it has to match the definition above

  Pulse and SS are both authorized at 902, which is where US LoRa is.
  At 220 and 430, SS only and not pulse.

So it is not immediately clear if LoRa is SS, if it is pulse, both, or
neither.  I was asking if someone had done the analysis, sort of the
page or two you'd theoreticaly be able to hand to the FCC inpsector to
say "here's what I'm doing and here's why it's ok".