[aprssig] APRS WX - Onset/Hobo

Ron VE8RT ve8rt at yknwt.ca
Sun Sep 26 12:45:28 EDT 2021

   we have a few local APRS WX stations here, not anything beyond range
of my IGate (only known IGate in VE8 sadly).  I have a salvaged Onset
Hobo H21-001 complete with sensors weather logger I'd like to see if I
could interface to APRS.  Onset have made available the Windows
software (Boxcar) with the access key as its an older product, but I
have not made a working interface cable yet.

   As it is very robust hardware, having survived arctic conditions for
a few years, with some help I'd like to use it (I understand that live
data is available at the serial port) as an APRS weather station.

   This may take some time, I'm slow at completing projects. In the
short term I'd like to find a simple APRS WX interface project for
temperature, humidity, and pressure would be a bonus, but temperature
is most important as we average about ten days a winter with -40 or
colder.  I'm finding most of the projects online are years old.  There
are many places to buy a WS1 WS3 Chinese weather station, but a search
for a manual or a website with helpful information turns up very
little. On hand are a couple of Arduino Uno R3 and a Raspberry Pi 2B,
and 3B.

   Looking for some help, and or direction.

   Ron VE8RT

--
Ron VE8RT <ve8rt at yknwt.ca>