[aprssig] Who's listening?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Sep 10 17:03:06 EDT 2021

Imagine if we had Voice-to-APRS application.  Then imagine what
happened to my wife the other day.

She received a text message on her phone which appeared to be snippets
of a conversation or dialog between two people  It did not make a lot
of sense.  Not only the usual garbles of voice to text, but also the
dialog was just not complete, etc.  It was wierd.

Turns out her friend had left some kind of voice ap on her phone
enabled and apparently my wife was the last person this other lady had
talked to, so what it turned out to be was this lady chatting with her
husband in their bedroom during normal activities and some kind of key
word was said that apparently caused her phone to trigger on and
convert all that it heard to text and send it to my wife.

Imagine that.  Your phone is always listening and your PC is always
listening and Alexa and Siri can decide to do whatever they want.

I sit here smiling with my old fllip phone,  and any other mics in the
house are PTT.  hi hi

Bob, WB4APR
'