[aprssig] Consecutive Packet Send

Eric H. Christensen eric at aehe.us
Tue Nov 23 17:15:01 EST 2021

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Tuesday, November 23rd, 2021 at 12:50 PM, Kenneth Finnegan <kennethfinnegan2007 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 8:00 PM Eric H. Christensen <eric at aehe.us> wrote:
>
> > FWIW, I noticed a local station sending <insert eye roll here> a gob of objects out over the air the other day.
>
> I don't see the issue with this. APRS is designed for local situational awareness. I'd hope that each local APRS area has a station beaconing a gob of local points of interest, and static points of interest are certainly unimportant enough that I'd hope for them to all be dumped as a single packet blast on the air.

Ha ha ha!  You clearly haven't seen Southern Maryland where every fire station, law enforcement office, hospital, car dealership, and I don't even know what else is being sent out to several hops.  I ended up blocking them so I don't see them anymore except for in my mobile where I can see them there (and a few objects that are being sent out but are located >1000 miles away?).  Oh, and there are duplicate objects from different stations.  So, yes, while I agree that APRS is designed for local situational awareness, this ain't it.

73,
Eric WG3K