[aprssig] Consecutive Packet Send

Kenneth Finnegan kennethfinnegan2007 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 14:35:07 EST 2021

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 7:14 AM Randy Love <rlove31 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sadly tho, most digipeaters are not configured properly.

A slightly different take on this is that there's a large contingent of
operators that think this fratricide theory is nonsense. I haven't seen any
robust justification that this actually works other than "you know, FM
capture effect is a thing so this should work in theory"

There's just so many different scenarios where being able to transmit more
than one packet at a time is desirable that regardless of fratricide
actually working, I don't subscribe to it actually being helpful:
1. Sharing the same TX delay for position and telemetry
2. Sharing the same TX delay for ACK and reply message
3. Sharing the same TX delay for multi-line messages or bulletins because
the message length limit is so ungodly short because of the IBM PC screen
width limits
4. Sharing the same TX delay for several digipeated packets which have
queued up while waiting for CSMA/CA to grab the channel

The fact that Kenwood only shows the last posit on the display is a bad
reason to try and get stations to transmit multiple packets with "slight
breaks" between them. Fine, so now the Kenwood updates the display five
times at.... some fast interval and you still can only read the last posit
sent.

The fact that we expect stations to transmit single packets at a time, but
then don't actually document some lower limit on packet interval or
required idle time between transmitting packets in the spec means it isn't
actually going to happen. When a TNC receives five packets to send to RF,
what is it supposed to do? Dump all five of them in a single data stream,
or buffer up the additional packets and introduce one or several seconds of
delay per packet in the transmit queue?

The fact that some stations don't have enough buffer space to handle more
than one packet at a time sounds like a problem we shouldn't still be
accommodating in APRS routing behavior in 2021. Fine for deaf trackers, but
if a digipeater can't handle more than one packet at a time, then it sounds
like the digipeater needs better hardware. I suspect that many modems also
don't handle two packets sharing the same flag byte between them because
the receive state machine isn't implemented correctly to handle that, but
that should also be something that is documented/tested so we can start
improving the situation or at least be aware of it instead of just assuming
multiple-packet transmissions shouldn't be happening.

--
Kenneth Finnegan, W6KWF
http://blog.thelifeofkenneth.com/