[aprssig] Rocket Tracking

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 17:54:00 EST 2021

I’ll throw another plug for the big red bee. Used ‘em with great success on high altitude balloons as well as high power rockets.  A kenwood  APRS HT works great as a handheld ground station, at least on the models I’ve used.

There’s an outfit called egg timer rocketry that makes kits. They just transmit NMEA but there’s some Perl code floating around written by yours truly that wraps the sentences with APRS headers and feeds them to a server port on a locally running APRS app.

I make my own from 900MHz XBee modules. They speak APRS so I feed the data to xastir for mapping.  Iirc big red bee has something similar but I haven’t used it.

-Jason
kg4wsv