[aprssig] East Coast Backbone 9600 baud network

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Jan 12 19:53:33 EST 2021

> The network that Bob's working on will be along the Appalachian Trail ...

Actually I'd like to not tie the 9600 baud backbone to the "trail".    The
backbone is a much larger area thing and serves  the east coast by
takiong advantage of our east coast mountain range which is good for long
distance communications.  And for maximum range, the network has to
actually zig-zag back and forth along the appalachiands since tgrying to do
it actually along the ridge line more or less eliminates the height
advantages.

The trail thing is different from our annual GOlden Packet event.  APRS and
the trail is a 144.39 thing because you can hit the existing APRS network
from anywhere along the trail, ANytime on 144.39.  Our annual event is not
on 144.39  simply to play APRS from high places for max range.  And the
144.39 network already exists.

Bob