[aprssig] Rocket Tracking

Will Marchant will at spaceflightsoftware.com
Mon Feb 1 09:32:10 EST 2021

I gave a talk at NARCON last year https://kw4wz.com/aprs/ about this.
I've got some links on that page to receiver vendors.  You can give her
my contact info if she has questions.

Sad about the Kenwood TH-D74 and TH-D72.  I love those radio.  I expect
they'll get re-released or a new Kenwood model will come out with APRS
support.

I have a Yaesu FT3D and it's a good radio.

The menu system "philosophy" is different between Kenwood and Yaesu.  I
find it easier to navigate the Kenwood philosophy.  But I know people
that find the Yaesu much easier.  All these are great radios.

I've flown the BigRedBee product line in high power rockets for many
years.  And I'm getting ready to augment that with an APRS enabled
dual-deploy altimeter from Altus Metrum.

Both the Kenwood and Yaesu radios will "point" you to an APRS
transmitter using a compass rose/bearing and distance.

I find having a beeper in the rocket helps with the "last ten meters"
issues when dealing with high grass or tall corn.
     73,
     Will

--
Will Marchant, KW4WZ