[aprssig] APRS test suite?

Weston Bustraan wbustraan at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 15:27:14 EDT 2021

That would just tell you whether your parser crashes or not; not whether
the data was parsed and interpreted correctly. It would certainly be
helpful to have more "official" examples. I know, for example, that the
spec for area objects was a bit vague, at first. I've tested a simple
square area object in several APRS clients and found that, while every one
parsed the packet without crashing, the actual result was drastically
different.

For my app, I built my own test suite using a variety of inputs. I started
with the few examples described in the APRS101 spec. From there, I tried to
introduce edge cases and common cases. Whenever I was not sure what the
expected interpretation was supposed to be, I used popular clients like
aprs.fi or Direwolf as a reference.

- Wes, W8WJB