[aprssig] RE : APRS Symbols for embedded ham objects

Andrew Pavlin spam8mybrain at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 13 12:57:34 EDT 2021

 Just in my opinion, it sounds like you're overloading the icons too much. One station can't have two different symbols at the same time. To quote from your telemetry example, if the station has green battery voltage but the power amp is overheating to red, what _one_ symbol will be reported for that combination? You can't flip-flop back and forth rapidly, because you'll clog the RF channel with excessive packets, plus the RF channel isn't reliable, so there is no guarantee that every single packet (with every state change of the symbol) will get through to a receiving station.
And where on the map display are you going to simultaneously display _all_ of your multiple weather station parameters for a single weather station? That sounds like you would need a custom tabular display with one row per station and one column per parameter, which then could be color-coded per ranges; I have a similar table in my YAAC application for monitoring the quality status of weather station parameters. But the station icon is for the state/type of the station as a whole, not just one parameter of it. Yes, for the flood gauge symbol codes, they are color-coded for the flood level, but that's really the only parameter a flood gauge station reports (it's not a weather station or Echolink gateway or anything else at the same time).

Regarding gateways and repeaters, we already have such symbol codes, with various overlay codes for different modes (i.e., Da for D-star gateway, Ya for Yaesu System Fusion gateway). For commonly useful other modes, Bob could assign other overlay codes (per the APRS 1.2 symbol code document http://aprs.org/symbols/symbols-new.txt ), as the LORA gateway symbol code was recently added.
Just my $.02 (or whatever currency you choose).
Andrew, KA2DDOauthor of YAAC ("Yet Another APRS Client")