[aprssig] What is APRS, really? USA Coverage?

Fred Hillhouse fmhillhouse at comcast.net
Sun Oct 25 16:29:48 EDT 2020

From: aprssig [mailto:aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org] On Behalf Of Stephen H Smith via aprssig
Sent: Sunday, October 25, 2020 1:38 AM
To: TAPR APRS Mailing List
Subject: Re: [aprssig] What is APRS, really? USA Coverage?

On 10/24/2020 7:39 PM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:

This display shows the aircraft AIS beacons at different flight levels that I have received. It continually updates as time passes. It would be interesting to see a similar display of APRS stations received directly.

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

  _____

I've been doing this for years!     I have live on-line maps showing APRS activity, as monitored off-the-air in central Michigan.  Separate maps show ONLY off-the-air RX on 2-meters, , the ISS digi, 30-meters HF and 60-meters HF --  not the Internet feed.            Go to:

   <http://WA8LMF.net/map> <http://WA8LMF.net/map>

to view the various mapping webservers.    Actually one display does show the Internet and off-air reception combined.   The map called "2 Meters VHF" shows the off-the-air RX only. The one called "Special Events Webserver" uses the identical map image, but shows off-air and APRS-IS Internet feed combined.  It's a dramatic demonstration of the diversity receive effect of combining multiple receive sites via the APRS-IS vs a single receive site.

  _____

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

  _____

My example shows more than just stations on the map. It shows where stations have been heard directly regardless of stations aging out. It is an ever growing depiction of heard areas.

Fred N7FMH