[aprssig] What is APRS, really?

Brett Friermood brett.friermood at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 10:22:10 EDT 2020

Not even referencing other advantages or disadvantages, you're leaving out
the part about cell phones not being a reliable form of communication
across a fairly large part of the country and/or world. Outside of large
cities and a mile or two off the interstates is a much different world than
most of the population are acquainted to.

This is not to say APRS is not underutilized along with most other forms of
amateur radio, but I'd rather leave the discussion of the reasons that is
to others. The concept of APRS is a very, very powerful system. As Bob has
been saying for how many years, it just needs to be thought of as something
more than just location tracking.