[aprssig] Coming Hurricane and power outages

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Oct 8 13:34:48 EDT 2020

As another hurricane approaches the gulf coast with the potential to knock
out power to tens of thousands, I was pleased to see that CQ published
my article this month (Oct) on using an EV or plugin Hybrid for emergency
power for days or weeks.  With the 10 to 100 kWh batteries in EV's and the
50kW or so generators in hybrids, your car makes a great accessory for your
house when the grid goes down.

The article is just a short condensation of some of the Emergency Power
topic that is in the ARRL Energy Choices handbook  I also posted greater
detail from the article on this page:
http://aprs.org/FrankenVolt.html

Bob, WB4APR
Author http://aprs.org/Energy-Choices.html