[aprssig] aprssig Digest, Vol 191, Issue 22

Paul Sadowski polymath99 at gmail.com
Mon May 25 19:07:28 EDT 2020

I'd love to help but I'm not an author...

But, having been an infrequent participant in UI Packet telemetry since 1996 and playing with DOS APRS since 1995 and MacAPRS since 1996 ... I do though have some of the old guy perspective.... and have had a contribution or two...  particularly the packet storm flooding discoveries in 1997-1998.

Does anyone else remember when the only positions that were expected by some major software were only in the area that consists of the intersection set of  Northern Hemisphere and Western Hemisphere...  a time when it seems one major author thought only US, Canada, and Mexico were thought to exist ;)

How about the big APRS Working Group meeting where only a few authors could or were allowed to attend?

How about the on-line Battles about internet role within APRS... I learned a LOT from that one...  it when on for a few years.

Scott Miller and OpenTrac was probably ahead of its time...  maybe now is the time???  Probably it even needs to be updated.

How Many folks have read the Pulitzer Prize book "The Soul of a New Machine" (40 years old)... the Prologue I strongly relate to...  my point about that book...  the bag on the side of the machine...  thats what APRS has become I fear...

BIG KUDOs to ANDREW, Ian, Nick and Greg and many others recently trying to wade through what the APRS bag has become.  The compromises of the past are not always necessarily required of the future...  otherwise bleeding a vein might still be an accepted medical practice ;). Bob being "final authority"...  thats interesting and possibly telling how we arrived here....

I wish I was worth a hoot at software writing... it should be no surprise I think AIS and ADSB should be looked at as we consider options for the future ; BTW they too have some ugly parts).

old guy edging back and putting on his flame armor...

AH6LS

Sent from my iPhone - my apologies for autocorrection and thumb typing mistakes

> [...]

> chance of getting heard.
>
> So we suggested that all big digis on the mountains support ONE-HOP only
> and thus help eliminate all the out of area duplicity.  Now 16 years later,
> I realize I have never been to LA to see what is now actually happening on
> the air.  Did most digis implemetne one-hop only?  How's the channel sound
> now?  Just curious.
>
> My other suggestion at the time if it was still bad was to make MOST of the
> mountain top digis be SPLIT FREQ.  Listening on 144.99 but still
> digipeating on 144.39.  This would greatly eliminate the collisions that
> mobiles were hitting while still providing 144.39 with all traffic.  A few
> digis should still listeen on 144.39 for visitors, but the advantage of
> reducing contention on the uplink could easiliy triple or more the capacity
> of the network.
>
> Using 144.99 meant that a mobile in LA couild simply tune 144.39 but set
> the normal TX offset of +600 KHz.  The problem at the time was that someone
> else was using the 144.99 for something else.  I think maybe ATV audio?
>
> Bob, Wb4APR
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 17:30:41 +0100
> From: luis ramos abad <carrionas at gmail.com>
> To: aprssig at lists.tapr.org
> Subject: [aprssig] (no subject)
>
> Darme de baja
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

> There would be a lot more to gain from moving in the direction of OpenTrac as a new direction than trying to do more with APRS.  AX.75 supports the use of other protocols in band with APRS. We need to move on and use a protocol like OpenTrac to have extensibility and highly vertical customizations for unique applications.
>
> Gregg
> W5GGW
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>>> On May 24, 2020, at 11:03 AM, Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:
>> ?
>> As I am retiring next month, I do hope to eventually sit down and clean up the APRS1.1 and APRS1.2 portions of the spec and help remove any inaccuracies or conflicts.  I welcome identifications of these things to look at.
>> Bob
>>> Hello, Ian.
>>> I'm afraid you have a few misunderstandings, and a long uphill row to hoe to do what you're trying to do.
>>> 1. APRS was not created by a central standards body, but by many people working independently. Although Bob Bruninga WB4APR is technically the final authority on anything in APRS, people don't always check with him (even though they should). And once some of these things get out there, they're out there forever. It's like trying to erase something from the Internet: impossible, because there are too many copies scattered around.
>>> 2. Because of this, APRS has grown organically for several different purposes that share a common infrastructure, so there are several different ways to do things, optimized for different use cases. For example, Mic-E was originally optimized for a very short signal "burp" at the end of a voice transmission, so as to not extend the transmission significantly while still getting position data piggybacked on the voice transmission. But now, every single designed-for-APRS radio, including the Kenwoods and Yaesus, plus remote-operator devices like the Byonics MT-AIO, and many stand-alone TNCs all support this position format, either by default or as the only position format choice. Other use-cases can't use this format because they can't type the control codes into the packets, so they have to use an all-printable-ASCII format like the uncompressed position report. And a general-purpose APRS client like Xastir, APRSIS32, YAAC, APRSdroid, or aprs.fi has to support all of them, because it doesn't know who or what other stations the user is going to be working with.