[aprssig] [TinyTrak] How to Contribute? (LA Basin digipeating)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun May 24 12:27:45 EDT 2020

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 7:11 PM Clint Bradford K6LCS-3 wrote:

> I am in Southern CA - (LA basin) and have a TT4, excellent external
antenna,

> and at 5W hitting several other stations.
> Is there a “mode” I can place my setup in to contribute to the  system?

No, I assume the LA basin is saturated with digipeates from the very hig
digipeaters that surround the LA b asin.  Back around 2004 maybe the total
saturation of the LA basin was so bad that individual mobiles had a poor
chance of getting heard.

So we suggested that all big digis on the mountains support ONE-HOP only
and thus help eliminate all the out of area duplicity.  Now 16 years later,
I realize I have never been to LA to see what is now actually happening on
the air.  Did most digis implemetne one-hop only?  How's the channel sound
now?  Just curious.

My other suggestion at the time if it was still bad was to make MOST of the
mountain top digis be SPLIT FREQ.  Listening on 144.99 but still
digipeating on 144.39.  This would greatly eliminate the collisions that
mobiles were hitting while still providing 144.39 with all traffic.  A few
digis should still listeen on 144.39 for visitors, but the advantage of
reducing contention on the uplink could easiliy triple or more the capacity
of the network.

Using 144.99 meant that a mobile in LA couild simply tune 144.39 but set
the normal TX offset of +600 KHz.  The problem at the time was that someone
else was using the 144.99 for something else.  I think maybe ATV audio?

Bob, Wb4APR