[aprssig] [IRLP] APRS script for Debian 10, AVRS, etc CLARIFICATION?

Iain R. Learmonth irl at hambsd.org
Sat May 16 05:38:08 EDT 2020

Hi,

On 15/05/2020 18:59, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> I agree, that expecting every IGate operator in the world to add the
> specific filter for IRLP, Echolink and other nodes is a high
> expectation and will likely only be successful in a very small
> percentage of locations.  BUT…

Allowing the APRS-IS servers to push packets to RF is something I'm explicitly trying to prevent in HamBSD's APRS-IS client. In the case of messaging, this is valuable, but for position beacons of "nearby" objects it's less so. The value will vary depending on the geography.

I generate objects for two local voice repeaters out of my IGate, and set the path such that the packet will be available only in the coverage areas for those repeaters. It takes some local knowledge to do this, or some path finding algorithm and allowing for APRS-IS servers to also dictate the path that gated packets should take.

> But, having central servers for each service is the best way to make
> sure that ALL such objects (if implemented) are generated correctly
> and consistently.

We could equally well decide what the format is, and implement support for generating that format in a foolproof way in software.

Thanks,

Iain MM0ROR.

--
https://hambsd.org/