[aprssig] HF APRS igates on fldigi

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon May 11 15:03:27 EDT 2020

On 5/11/2020 10:45 AM, Joe Della Barba wrote:
> I was sending on 60 and 30 meters earlier this morning as N3HGB-8. Nothing
> showed up on APRS.FI darn the luck!
>

> Joe N3HGB

Around 09:01 EDT (1301 UTC), I copied these RSID transmissions without any
following traffic.  Do these look like the times you tried?

   Before RSID: <<2020-05-11T13:01Z MFSK-16 @ 5403500+1700>>

   Before RSID: <<2020-05-11T13:08Z MFSK-16 @ 5403500+1700>>

   Before RSID: <<2020-05-11T13:08Z MFSK-16 @ 5403500+1700>>

   Before RSID: <<2020-05-11T13:09Z MFSK-16 @ 5403500+1700>>

   Before RSID: <<2020-05-11T13:13Z MFSK-16 @ 5403500+1700

What kind of transceiver were you using?

What exact "dial frequency were you on?

Were you on USB?  (Most ham transceivers try to default to LSB below 10 MHz,
and must be overridden to USB.)

Was the center frequency of the cursor in the FLdigi waterfall exactly on 1700 Hz?

Did you see your transmitted string appear in the upper (buff-colored) window
of FLdigi?

Were you trying to send from a KISS-linked APRS application, or did you just
hand-enter a string directly into FLdigi?

The RSID mode ID sent before the actual transmission is very reliable and will
often be decoded even when the actual transmission on MFSK16, PSK63, etc fails
to decode.  This could happen if the radio frequency of the radio, or the audio
tones in FLdigi are off.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

-----   NEW!    60-Meter APRS!   HF NVIS APRS Igate Now Operating  ------
    <http://wa8lmf.ddns.net:14447/>

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps
    <http://wa8lmf.net/map>

Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF
    <http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/HF_APRS_Notes.htm>

You MUST be within 20-30 Hz of the correct frequency for a successful decode to
happen. This includes the total of any error in both the RF frequency and the
audio frequency in FLdigi.