[aprssig] HF APRS igates on fldigi

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sat May 9 18:51:16 EDT 2020

On 5/9/2020 6:08 PM, Joe Della Barba wrote:
> Would it be better to use another band? Either way this is exciting :) The JS8
> grid thing works, but you miss a lot of the APRS functions.
>
> I am going to see if I can get YAAC going tonight or tomorrow.
>
> Joe N3HGB

1)  See all the 60-meter issues in the post I made earlier today in this
thread.  Especially the considerations of no automatic beaconing.

2)   Conventional APRS digipeater pathing of WIDEn-N is NOT USED ON HF. It just
lengthens your packets.  Use direct (no digis at all).

3)   I'm eagerly awaiting Andrew's next build of YAAC with manual on-demand
beaconing.

4)   I'm putting together several web pages on the 60-meter APRS operation,
including the radio setup, how to configure FLdigi for KISS-mode operation with
external programs, and how to setup the open-source Com0com tools to mate apps
that output KISS over serial ports to the KISS-over-IP port in FLdigi.  This
should be ready in a day or two.

In the meantime, my multimode 60-meter igate is now up and listening  24/7 for
both conventional 300-baud AX.25 packet APRS and the FLdigi-modes APRS  .

It's now monitoring 60 Meters "Channel  5"   ( 5.403.5 MHz USB ) from East
Lansing, Michigan.  Mapping web page at:

    <http://wa8lmf.ddns.net:14447/>

Main page shows AX.25 RX; click the link in the yellow box for the FLdigi modes RX.

----------- SET UP -----------------

AX.25 300-baud packet mode:    Tone pair is 1600/1800 Hz "KAM tones"

Fldigi modes:

A)  Set FLdigi audio center frequency (i.e. waterfall cursor) to 1700 Hz - be
aware that FLdigi tries to snap back to 1500 Hz by default each time you change
modes.  Change the default "Sweet Spot" to 1`700 Hz to avoid this nuisance.

B)  Turn on RSID mode identification to cause my receive system to
automatically switch to whatever mode you are sending. Click the "TxID button
at the upper-right corner of the FLdigi main screen.

C)  You can try any modes, but they must be narrow enough to fit through the
500 Hz CW receive filter on my FT-857.  The radio is monitoring 1500-2000 audio
I suggest PSK63 or MFSK16.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

-----   NEW!    60-Meter APRS!   HF NVIS APRS Igate Now Operating  ------
    <http://wa8lmf.ddns.net:14447/>

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps