[aprssig] Escaping \r\n in packets for APRS-IS

John Langner WB2OSZ wb2osz at comcast.net
Fri May 8 11:11:54 EDT 2020

spam8mybrain wrote:

"Hmmm... in one of my displays, I replace all the ASCII control characters
(byte values 0x00 through 0x1F) with their corresponding display glyphs in
Unicode (\u2400 through \u241F), so they can be interpreted properly by the
user. ...."

That's good for local display, but you don't want to corrupt a perfectly
good packet before passing it along thru a digipeater or IGate.

Remember that the MIC-E format uses a few non printable characters: 0x1c,
0x1d, 0x1d, 0x1f, 0x7f.

The rule for a digipeater is always pass it along exactly as received.

The rule for an RF to IS IGate is cut at the first CR or LF and leave the
rest alone.