[aprssig] Multi control station situational awareness - How's this supposed to work?

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 18:51:35 EDT 2020

> This is an intriguing idea.  Basically, use the old News service as the back-end database / viewer, and packet radio as the transport.

JNOS, Linux, and, I believe, LinBPQ support NNTP which is the protocol
used for News service over the 'modern' TCP/IP  network.  It's all
there in existing packet tools - just needs to be turned on.  It
shares tools with the packet bulletin processes.

We've talked about using NNTP for individual messaging by flooding the
systems.  The unread messages can just age out and disappear.  Should
be useful with very little new development. .

TCP/IP on ax25 packet is all there too - just 1/4 or worse the speed
of straight packet.  The FBB protocols are optimized for packet and
are the fastest file transfer around.

Folks have tried some of the various UUCP protocols over raw packet.
It sorta worked but the world passed it by before it was put to any
use.

73
Bill, W7NWP