[aprssig] APRS proposed 3 Jan 1991

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Jun 8 16:17:00 EDT 2020

Cleaning out my lab of 30 years, I found a letter dated 3 Jan 1991 that I
sent to 15 Packet people I knew at the time (Mostly AMRAD).... W3IWI,
W4RI, ARRL, K1HTV, N4QQ, WB4OIQ, K8MMO, AMRAD, W0RLI, N2GTE, W7HR, N6NKF,
G3ZCZ, N4HY, NK6K...

It proposed a specification for an Automatic Packet Location System
(APLS).  Later in 1992, I realized I could change one letter to match my
call...  APRS.

Just a bit of history.. buried under tons of old paper and junk...

Hummh... further digging revealed 15 copies and 15 blank envelopes with
just a call on them.  I guess I never mailed it.  (Though I probably sent
it out at the time to the local AMRAD BBS)...

Bob
WB4APR