[aprssig] APRS-IS: frames bypassing server filter

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Jul 15 11:57:05 EDT 2020

On 7/15/2020 10:50 AM, Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists via aprssig wrote:

> If you don't want to see packets originated by stations heard on RF by your IGate (i.e. don't want to support messaging), you may be able to disable the gate capability in your client, change to using a send-only port (UDP or HTTP), or connect to a FIRENET port 14580 which do not support bidirectional IGates.  In all cases, we will know if your IGate is messaging to RF and other IGates will know your station has APRS-IS connectivity (so therefore will not gate to RF messages for your client).

But this still doesn't solve the problem of the original poster, which was to
stop APRS-IS-to-IGATE traffic.   Even if he chooses to not transmit this data
back to RF, it's still burning up his limited cellular data quota getting from
the APRS-IS to his shack.

I have encountered a similar issue.   I run an ISS satgate among my multiple
igate setups.  The intent is to serve maps of what I am hearing on RF from the
ISS, and igate the traffic to the Internet as the same time.  The map display
is here:
      http://wa8lmf.ddns.net:14443/

For some reason, a surprising number of stations beaconing through the ISS digi
also beacon directly to the Internet at the same time.  (Or get igated by other
stations further down the orbital track.)   This causes stations to continue to
show on my North American map, long after the ISS is out of range of my own
station. (The APRS-IS persists in sending me reports from stations I can no
longer hear off the air.)

I do have an APRS-IS filter set to send me KJ4ERJ's space station object from
the APRS-IS, but I would like, if possible, to receive ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE
FROM THE INTERNET.

Is there ANY way to do this?

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

-----   NEW!    60-Meter APRS!   HF NVIS APRS Igate Now Operating  ------
    <http://wa8lmf.ddns.net:14447/>

11 Copies of UIview in Action on One Computer!
Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps
    <http://wa8lmf.net/map>

Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF
    <http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/HF_APRS_Notes.htm>