[aprssig] UNDEFINED?

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Thu Apr 30 13:31:40 EDT 2020

Hi,

I agree; if a single callsign of an intentional abuser is filtered
altogether, it is very easy for him to switch to another callsign, and
then it's again much more work for us to filter the second callsign.

If we somehow filter all non-valid-looking callsigns, then he will start
using someone's valid callsign, and then it's even more problematic since
that someone may be quite upset.

But if this is not intentional abuse, rather just a misbehaving client
app, filtering will help.

I have been thinking about a rate limiter on client ports, where a single
client could not accidentally send huge bursts of packets. Such bursts may
potentially cause slower clients or slower interserver links to get
disconnected due to a buffer overrun.

I checked the logs of T2FINLAND of a few days. The connections from
UNDEFINED came from 125 unique IPs (to just T2FINLAND alone), from USA,
Mexico, Chile, Costa Rica, AWS EC2, South Africa, Jersey and Sweden.
Mostly end-user/customer networks (ATT mobile, etc) and some hosting
networks. For many networks (such as the ATT mobile access network) many
close-by IP addresses appeared from the same operator allocation / subnet,
indicating dynamic IP allocation; these could be all the same client just
getting different IPs over time, or multiple clients.

Because there were a lot of IPs around the world, I suspected they may be
TOR exit nodes; but no, none of them are listed in the TOR exit node
lookup service.

So, my *guess* is that some pre-existing vehicle tracking software from
China has recently gained APRS support in a new software version, and
without proper configuration present, it runs with the UNDEFINED callsign
and still transmits positions. Guessing China, because it says "gpserver"
as the application name, and "corget.cn" as the version number. No such
domain on DNS though, but these might help in finding the software.

For aprsc operators, you can look for these IPs like this (shows the
number of connections from each IP):

grep UNDEFINED aprsc.log*|grep -v DEBUG|grep closed|sed -e
's/.*Client TCP //' -e 's/:.*//'|sort|uniq -c|sort -n|less

and then to look up whether any TOR exit nodes are present:

grep UNDEFINED aprsc-t2finland.*|grep -v DEBUG|grep closed|sed -e
's/.*Client TCP //' -e 's/:.*//'|sort|uniq|perl -nle
'print(join(".",reverse(split /\./,$_)) . ".dnsel.torproject.org")' |
xargs -n 1 dig +noall +nocomments +answer

It might be interesting to try to look for log entries using this gpserver
app, but not an UNDEFINED callsign.

As for workaround, maybe I should add a method in aprsc to reject packets
sent by a specific client app (such as 'gpserver' in this case) if so
configured.

But how about if we'll just filter packets originated by UNDEFINED on the
T2 hub servers for now? This will take the rate down and hide this from
the core servers; you'll still see some of these packets if you're
connected to the T2 leaf with one of these clients.