[aprssig] APRS client software for NON-KISS tnc's?

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Apr 29 16:00:48 EDT 2020

On 4/29/2020 12:50 PM, MJ Inabnit wrote:

> A friend has had the good fortune to acquire a TS-2000 Kenwood all-mode
> radio with the built in TNC.  I've been looking for Window's client
> software that will use this TNC with command mode, not KISS.
>
> I use xastir and love that it works with anything, but I haven't found a
> Windows client that can do this.
>
> Thanks all, 73

The internal TNC  HARDWARE of the TS-2000 is virtually identical to the one in
the TM-D700 and the TH-D7.  However, the internal firmware in the two are
totally different.

- The D700/D7 are oriented to APRS operation, messaging, and beaconing,
including second serial port GPS input.

- The TS-2000's TNC firmware is oriented to monitoring packet cluster DX
spotting networks, and the remote control of the TS-2000 via a TH-D7 handheld.
Kenwood's "Sky Command" system actually uses commands passed by packet (not
DTMF)from the hand-held to the the base station to control it. There are NO
APRS-specific features in the 2000's hardware & firmware. This includes a lack
of a GPS input for position beaconing.

When running in "packet" mode, all the radios ignore the internal firmware
features and act like a stand-alone classic TNC. They very closely emulate the
command set of a TNC2 / MFJ-1270.  This includes responding to the same
commands to enter and exit KISS mode as a TNC2.  A few APRS client
applications, including UIview, include a radio-specific TNC init string for
the '2000.

Nearly any APRS client that can handle a TNC2 (which is virtually all of them)
will work with the TS-2000. The main requirement is that the TNC initialization
strings be editable in order to change a few of them.

If you are talking about classic connected packet rather than APRS, then any
serial ASCII terminal program such as Hyperterminal, Putty, TeraTerm, etc will
work.

Ironically, for a device with an HF radio in it, the 2000's internal TNC will
NOT do 300 baud HF-mode packet. It only does the same 1200 and 9600 baud as
it's counterparts in the D700 and D7.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

-----   NEW!    60-Meter APRS!   HF NVIS APRS Igate Now Operating  ------
    <http://wa8lmf.ddns.net:14447/>

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps