[aprssig] MFJ-1274 TNC

wa7skg wa7skg at wa7skg.com
Tue Oct 22 12:14:06 EDT 2019

I am just getting back into packet and want to do APRS. I have an
MFJ-1274 TNC (purchased in 1987) I used when packet first started
getting going 30+ years ago. I plan on using Xastir as soon as I upgrade
my computer enough to run it. I understand I need to use the KISS mode
of the TNC, but I cannot find anything in the manual that mentions this.

The MFJ-1274 is basically the same as the 1270B except it has the LED
tuning display. I have the TNC hooked up to my radio and computer and
currently access it through minicom. I can see all the local packet
traffic on 144.39, but right now it is pretty much Greek to me.

Is there a good APRS for Dummies or similar guide to help me understand
what I am seeing?

Thanks,

Michael WA7SKG