[aprssig] battery portable HF APRS?

wa4zko . wa4zko at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 22:27:30 EST 2019

Ron,

More than a few options out there, but I use:

RADIO:  Yaesu FT-817ND/818ND

TNC:  SCS Tracker DSP TNC - flexible (10-20v) voltage requirements, draws
next to no power (<100 mA), 5 packet modes in one small box well suited to
portable/mobile setups. It can run as a stand-alone tracker (no PC/laptop
required) or with a lot of the common APRS software programs.

GPS - Garmin GPS76CSx, a 3-wire "hockey puck" GPS or tap into NMEA out on
some of my other gear. Many GPS options out there and the latest rev of the
SCS Tracker TNC's GPS port can even power some of them for you.

POWER: Rig's internal power or an external power/battery pack. I've had
great luck with the Bi0enno LiFePo battery packs.

HF ANTENNA: Pick your poison, lots of options for portable HF antennas,
some suck slightly less than others LOL. I do okay with just a $20 hamstick
for mobile and a dipole or end-fed halfwave wire when camping/etc.

Have taken the above on the road and into the backcountry as needed. This
provides me with my choice of:
Robust Packet APRS (HF)
300 baud APRS (HF)
1200 baud APRS (2m and 6m)
9600 baud APRS (typically on 70cm) (FT-817/818 do 9600 just FB)

Jerry VE6AB does some similar stuff and written a lot about his portable
ops in QST and his blog. Check him out on QRZ.

GL & 73
Jeff
WA4ZKO