[aprssig] Bursts of old packets on APRS-IS (AVRT7 bug)

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Thu Nov 21 15:14:06 EST 2019

FYI to people staring at APRS packet logs:

If you see bursts of really old packets appearing repeatedly on APRS-IS
these days, sometimes with a valid beacon packed with a TOCALL of APVRT7
appended to the end, it might be due to this bug.

The SainSonic AVRT7, a chinese igate appliance, is having some sort of
memory/buffer management issues, and may go into a mode where it starts
sending out some old packets which it has received earlier from the
APRS-IS. Some packets which were originally sent a long time ago by some
completely different station. The packets may be perfectly valid or
somewhat corrupted. They go out at the time when the AVRT7 is trying to
send out its own beacon.

We did a packet capture of the connection from the offending igate to a
server. Here's wireshark's rendering of the data flowing to/from the
client. Red stuff is data coming from the avrt7 igate (KF6FPU-15), blue
stuff is sent by aprsc (keepalives every 20 seconds):

http://he.fi/misc/kf6fpu-15-avrt7-corrupted-input-cn.png

You can clearly see the correct packets, and then some incomplete packets,
and full packet fron KQ6DI-1, and then a concatenated one. Needless to
say, KQ6DI was a bit annoyed by this: he was sending something completely
different, with a different software, at this time.

The operator of that bugging AVRT7 igate rebooted the device (I asked him
to), and it stopped sending out the old packets. But I wouldn't be
surprised if it, or one of the many others out there, would do the same
with some other callsigns and data later on.

BG6QBV, the author of AVRT7, also replied to my email / bug report and
promised to find the problem right away.

This seems to be quite rare (I couldn't find any other examples yet in my
logs, but it may be hard to notice unless some of the packets are
corrupted). Please let me know if you see it happening somewhere else.

  - Hessu, OH7LZB/AF5QT