[aprssig] APRS: IoT via Ham Radio

Brian Webster info at wirelessmapping.com
Wed Nov 20 12:08:43 EST 2019

A few things come to mind:

Stream gauge/ water levels. Our ARES?RACES group routinely takes manual readings on stream measuring sticks placed on bridges. A calibrated sensor would have to be built to do this.

Voltage levels on remote sites. For ham radio projects run on solar/wind. Battery voltage and input voltages from panels or turbines would be good to know. This could also work for sites with regular commercial power but have an outage and on backup systems. Door opening alarms and such for these sites is an application as well.

RFID tags – Bob Bruninga published a page to be able to track operators in a high density environment, but this could also be applied to a public service even for accountability of assets or athletes. http://aprs.org/aprs-rfid.html

Argent Data systems produces the Tracker 4 APRS unit that has full telemetry/SCADA interface connections built in to the device. This allows connections to sensors or relays, many that are for IOT should be able to interface to this unit https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=200

This document talks about the OPENTRAC specs and protocol http://opentrac.org/spec.pdf

The Byonics TinyTrak 4 also has telemetry features: Telemetry Transmitter Telemetry data can be sent with the TinyTrak4 Alpha firmware. Supply voltage, ambient temperature, up to 5 external voltage source, and up to 8 digital inputs can be sampled and transmitted. The MT-TT4 does not have a temperature sensor. Analog data should be in the 0V – 5V range, and can be sent as either 8 or 10-bit data. https://www.byonics.com/tinytrak4

So the IOT/Telemetry idea is much closer to reality than most may be aware of.

Thank You,

Brian N2KGC

Thank You,

Brian N2KGC