[aprssig] GPS Epoch Roll-Over Test - Success with TM-D710G

Gordon Davids g.davids at verizon.net
Wed Mar 13 14:51:47 EDT 2019

I have a Kenwood TM-D710G that's about four years old.  This morning I
took it to a fellow ham with a fine lab and a GPS simulator.  We set the
GPS input signal for 2345z on 6 April, and we followed it through the
roll-over past 0000Z.  I set the Time Zone in the radio to UTC but with
actual time to start.

I'm happy to report that it picked up the time and date from the
simulator, and then indicated 0001Z, 7 April 2019, followed with
continuing correct time indications.  That should be a valid indication
that the TM-D710G internal GPS will be compliant in the approaching
1024-week epoch and probably far beyond, with several more bits added to
the week register.

This has nothing to do with any other radio models or any types of
external GPS's.  But it's nice to know that the epoch roll-over will
probably not brick my radio.

Gordon / WJ3K