[aprssig] APRS Email from Space! (ET Phone Home)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Jun 30 08:54:51 EDT 2019

As I explained before, when Pete raised his objection back in March, it was
already after PSAT2 had gone through software certification and was less
than a month to delivery when it is impossible to change flight software
after all space qualification testing has completed.

PSAT2 received its IARU coordination in 2015 and was built in 2016.  The
Brno PSK31 and SSTV modules from Brno university were integrated in  March
2017., and space qualification testing was completed for an April 2017
delivery.

Then two years of incremental launch delays just one or two months at a
time brings us to here.  In March I contacted you to let you know that the
Sproul Brothers had agreed to release the original "EMAIL" address and I
asked if you wanted to support it (in addition to your EMAIL2 engine).

I wanted to make sure an "EMAIL" engine existed because that was what was
already programmed into PSAT2 and could not be changed.

When you objected to my experiment, it was too late and there was nothing I
could do to change the experiment.   So do not think that I simply ignored
your objections.  It was just too late and I had enough other things that
urgently needed attention and so no need to keep arguing.

The main APRS value is being a one-to-all packet distribution system.  But
with one exception, messages.  And so the APRS design included the ability
to send one-to-one messages as well to cut down on unnecessary "broadcast"
when there was a single intended recepient.  It also included an optional
line number in case the sender wanted to get an ACK.

PSAT2 uses an un-numbered APRS message format to send me an EMAIL status
once a day so that I can be aware of its status wherever I can receive
email.  It depends on a working "EMAIL" engine to pull that status report
from the APRS-IS and forward it to my email address.

You deserve thanks for providing all the support for the APRS-IS over all
these years and for supporting the EMAIL engine.

Bob, Wb4APR