[aprssig] APRS Email from Space! (ET Phone Home)

Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists hamlists at ametx.com
Sun Jun 30 07:15:21 EDT 2019

I am harsh because Bob approached me about this before the launch of PSAT 2 and I told him at that time that the email servers rely on APRS numbered messaging to differentiate between messages, to report to the sender the status of an email being sent or not, and to prevent abuse of someone generating SPAM (you have a very limited definition of SPAM which does not make my statement factually incorrect) by blasting a server with repetitive emails to a single person.

Because you don't find the content of messages "exciting" that are generated by people experimenting with amateur radio (I thought that is how amateur radio started) doesn't make Bob's statement about a satellite bot trying to generate meaningless emails being "exciting" accurate.  I will argue it is a lot more "exciting" that amateur radio operators are experimenting than setting a bot up to generate packets to servers that violate what the servers were set up to do in the first place.

Steve, you may not think it is one of those times but because I had already gone through this in much more detail with Bob before the launch and because Bob decided to do it anyway, I felt it was time. I did explain to Bob in detail that this would do nothing to advance amateur radio, APRS, or satellite use by explaining exactly what you stated in your "rather senseless" line and if he wanted to generate emails, create a server that monitors APRS-IS and sends him an email when it sees packets from PSAT 2 without having the satellite trying to use numbered messaging without the ability to ack or receive numbered messages in response which is what the email servers require.

Hope this explains why I was very disappointed in Bob's actions and that we are in agreement that this brings nothing to amateur radio or APRS and detracts from the good things PSAT 2 could be providing.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl dot net