[aprssig] AX.25 Digipeating precise timing?

Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) KJ4ERJ at arrl.net
Mon Jul 22 23:01:20 EDT 2019

I'm not a spec writer, but it seems to me that the intent behind
digipeating is to RE-transmit a packet to improve reception potential
for a different coverage area. Since the digipeated packet would be
coming from the same radio on the same antenna, then the coverage area
should be the same and the packet shouldn't waste the additional
airtime.  Of course, local conditions may have changed between the
original packet and reception of a digipeat, but really, I think a
second transmission by the originating station is nothing but a waste of
shared channel airtime.  Especially when the solution is simply to
remember our original packet as if it had already been digipeated.

But that's only my $0.02 to be taken for whatever it is worth.