[aprssig] APRS Email from Space! (ET Phone Home)

Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) KJ4ERJ at arrl.net
Mon Jul 1 08:20:11 EDT 2019

On 6/30/2019 8:54 AM, Robert Bruninga wrote:
> PSAT2 uses an un-numbered APRS message format to send me an EMAIL
> status once a day so that I can be aware of its status wherever I can
> receive email.  It depends on a working "EMAIL" engine to pull that
> status report from the APRS-IS and forward it to my email address.

Actually, according to this raw packet captured by aprs.fi, the message
packet IS requesting an acknowledgement:

> 2019-06-28 20:47:35 EDT:*PSAT2-1
> <https://aprs.fi/?c=raw&limit=&call=PSAT2-1>*>APOFF,ARISS
> <http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&limit=&call=ARISS>,qAR,VK6HAM-2
> <http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&limit=&call=VK6HAM-2>::EMAIL    :sats at usna.edu PSAT2 reporting Home [004960,0I801]{019

So, with this packet coming from space, a properly implemented EMAIL
server would in fact try to send an ack message back to PSAT2-1.
Hopefully none of the satellite IGates route messages from the -IS to
the satellite frequency RF!

PS.  You could have accomplished an locally implemented status check by
simply writing an APRS-IS client that used a "b/PSAT2-1" filter and
captured/counted received packets.  Said client could then
(terrestrially) send you a summary e-mail to whatever detail level you
might like at whatever (changeable) interval you might want.  But then,
hindsight is always 20/20.