[aprssig] Hybrids & HF-in-motion

KF4LVZ aprssigZbr6 at acarver.net
Sun Feb 24 14:58:57 EST 2019

On 2019-02-24 10:55, Rich Osman wrote:
> On 2/24/2019 10:34 AM, Gregg Wonderly wrote:
>> It would be best to look further forward and go for full BEV testing.
>>  I haven’t put HF in my Tesla yet.  I have a Yaesu FTM-400 in it right
>> now and C4FM and wires-X seems to work fine.
>>
>> Ultimately, it’s on the road, at speed, that the AC wave forms, if any
>> will be a problem.  My Model 3 has a DC motor system.  But I still
>> want to see what is happening for it too.
>>
>> Gregg Wonderly
>> W5GGW
>
> It may be a DC motor, but there is still a lot of switching going on for
> it to operate. DC motors don't turn without a switch somewhere. I don't
> think there is a car built today that isn't a cluster of switching power
> supplies regardless of the base power source.
>
> There's a reason new cars are dropping AM radio for both ICE and EV
> power.  Interference is manageable, but at a cost the manufacturers are
> unwilling to pay.
>
> It's also more likely that not that you'll find that installation of any
> transmitter voids your warranty.   I'm lucky as my VW allows
> transmitters of up to 10W (!)  Don't ask me what I have installed.
> You'll also learn if you read the really fine print in the third
> appendix twice removed that drilling a hole for an antenna voids the
> warranty (looking at you GM.)

If you have an issue like this, point out the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
of 1975 and remind them of the legal ramifications.  The MMWA
specifically requires a manufacturer to determine beyond reasonable
doubt that the aftermarket item specifically caused the failure that is
being denied warranty coverage.  It also prevents them from tying any
random aftermarket item to the failure especially if the two are totally
unrelated (e.g. your transmission blows out but they claim the radio did
it).

In the case of your antenna hole, they would not be able to deny
warranty coverage for corrosion in the engine hood when the antenna hole
is located on the rear trunk lid.  However, they would be able to make a
stronger claim for corrosion in the rear trunk lid near the hole.